Time: One day
From scrap: ██████████ 100%
Once in the Internet I saw a picture of a pair keychains with Derp and Derpina faces respectively for a guy and a girl. I did not find where to buy them, so I decided to make these keychains by myself. Guided by the next instructions you can make metal keychains with any shape or with any pattern on it. I also described the process of etching the pattern on the metal in details, this information can be used for etching patterns on knifes and other metal objects.
- The sheet metal with thickness of 3-4 mm. I use an old steel hoe. Generally treating stainless steel has a worthy punishment ...
- Key rings
- Angle grinder or hacksaw
- Abrasive circle
- Polishing paste
- I also use a small machine for quick processing of the surface, but this is not necessary
Preparation for the etching
- Pointy soldering iron
- Carbon paper
Equipment for etching pattern
- Power supply 12 volts or higher
- Black permanent marker
- Step 2
After annealing metal turns dark, so it was need to little polish. I made device like that for rapidly make my hoe a little shinySo if you decide to make keychains of stainless steel, I think there is no need to anneal it. But you can make keychains of metal sheet, not stainless, it's easier for treating.
- Step 4
Now we have a material. So go to google and find pictures you want to see on your homemade keychains. You need to print them (or redraw) in required scale and then cut them. Don't forget to left a piece of metal for hole (for attaching a keyring)! Apart from making Derp and Derpina diy keychains I decided to make the Trollface
- Step 7
Also make a hole for attaching keyring to homemade keychains.
- Step 10
Degrease surface of keychains and blow all dust from it
- Step 13
Heat your soldering iron. If you haven't this one, you can try incandescent awl, heat it with gas stove or diyalcohol stove. Attach handmade keychains to the flat surface with extra scotch.
Purpose: draw the pattern by melting scotch with iron. It's not so hard to draw a straight lines, but if you want to fetch an area, circle it with soldering iron and then use a needle to pull a piece of tape inside the area. For example, eyes on faces are areas like that.
- Step 15
Attach keychains to the flat surface with extra scotch. Near place a glass with salt water and power source.
Connect "negative" wire to the keychain, I just shove that wire between keychain and table (keychain is still attached with tape).
Wind "positive" wire round a cotton.
Steel billets for homemade keychains
Preparings for etching
How to etch a pattern on keychains
You can watch a video if topic was too boring for you =) There is more actiond and music but less useful information
- Handmade keychains turned out great, just as on the picture.
- Few vords about reliability of homemade keychains, here is a clear example: a photo exactly after one year of wearing with keys
And after another year
- Make keychains with your own hands is not so difficult, most difficult parts: cutting the workpiece and drawing on tape with iron.
- Also, now you know how to make a pattern on the knife, keychain, but at least on your iPhone =)